High School: Individualized Instruction With A Whole-school Experience
Our high school students experience appropriately challenging academic learning and accountability, mixed in with a lot of fun. Our standards-aligned curriculum is designed to stimulate intellectual growth, teach problem solving, logical reasoning and build confidence for life beyond graduation. All teachers are trained to provide evidence-based instruction using effective, multisensory techniques. Each student is viewed as an individual with individual needs. Our program exceeds the criteria for the Department of Education graduation requirements. Speech and reading therapy are embedded in the school day for students who require it. We care about the success and happiness of all our students, and we provide all the support and resources to help them achieve their goals.
High School Should Be Fun So We Make It Fun
We build an enriching, memorable high school experience by offering numerous extra-curricular activities such as school dances, social clubs, competitive sports and community service opportunities. The extracurricular experiences allow students to develop social skills parallel to their academic growth. Social interaction and engagement are integral to creating a positive high school experience. Don’t be surprised if your child genuinely looks forward to coming to school every day. That’s a part of the New Way difference!
A Different Plan Of Attack For Every Student
The High School team of teachers really take the time to get to know each child. Our Transition Department helps families develop individual plans for post graduation success. At New Way, students learn to understand their own unique learning style and advocate for the accommodations and support they need. Students take courses required for high school graduation in Arizona. Students learn a myriad of assistive technology to access their course material. Differentiation of course offerings include the scholars program, a senior year college readiness elective and independent study opportunities.
High School Students Enjoy:
- High School Transition Program
- Electives including Digital Media, Yearbook, Woodshop and Production Design
- American Sign Language classes
- Interest-based lunch and after-school clubs
- Annual musical (past productions include Aladdin and The Wizard of Oz)
- Field trips including out of state educational trips
- Guest speakers
- Sports teams that compete in the Canyon Athletic Association including football, basketball, cross country, swim, soccer, ultimate frisbee and baseball
- 1:1 Chromebook Ratio
- Spacious outdoor areas
- Student-centered events including prom, homecoming week, pep assemblies and community service activities