LATEST UPDATE: AUGUST 7TH, 2020
Health Policy and Updates
New Way Academy is tracking news and information about the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) in our area and will update this page as information becomes available.
New Way remains open for business and learning. Our campus is closed to public visits through the summer.
Current families: Please check your email and Campus Connect homepage regularly for the most up to date information while we navigate our return in the fall.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is New Way doing to prepare for reopening?
New Way Academy has many teams in place to prepare to welcome students back to campus:
- Safety and Sanitization: procuring supplies such as non-toxic disinfectants, disposable masks, hand sanitizer, plexiglas barriers, etc.
- Facilities: creating a plan for daily cleaning of high-touch surfaces, and nightly deep cleaning of all community-used areas including each classroom
- Academics: finalizing changes in schedule to accommodate social distancing guidelines, as well as an offering of a virtual learning experience for families who wish for their student to remain at home
- Technology: updating classroom devices and student chromebooks, improving access to internet, and evaluating campus equipment to better serve our students and families
- Health: adjusting our front office to better serve students who may feel ill, communicating best practices and procedures for when a student or staff member presents symptoms, and ensuring adequate equipment to serve anyone who needs health assistance while on campus.
When will New Way reopen?
Based on information released on the first week of August from the Arizona Department of Health Services, New Way is prioritizing the health and safety of our students and postponing the start of on campus learning. We will be using the Arizona DHS benchmarks as a guide for our reopening, with a target date to reevaluate on September 29th. On this date, we will review our progress and determine next steps for a safe reopening. Our virtual program still begins on September 1st!
When school reopens, will my child be able to continue distance learning if I am not comfortable sending them to school?
Yes, New Way’s academic leadership team is implementing a Connect @ Home program, which will allow students to engage in their classes while following a virtual learning model.
Will my child have to wear a mask at school, and if so what kind?
Yes, all staff, faculty, and students on campus for any part of the school day is asked to arrive on campus with a well-fitting face covering to use throughout the day. Students are asked to wear a face covering that protects the nose and mouth, in a plain color or muted pattern to mitigate classroom distractions. Face coverings may include masks, scarves, or bandanas.
Can New Way guarantee what education will look like in the fall?
New Way’s mission is to provide students with a transformative education that prepares them for college or career. Our instructional model is dynamic, individualized, and built specifically around the needs of our small community. New Way guarantees that the education we provide for the 2020-2021 school year and beyond will meet the needs of our students while providing the utmost concern for health and safety as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic.